Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Monkey See

True to my word I'm submitting my second window pic for this Wednesday in September. Today Dan and I went to Howlett's Wild Animal Park in Bekesbourne, near Canterbury. In case you are ever asked, Howlett's was the first zoo in the world to breed the honey badger... and perhaps more interestingly (albeit macabre) it managed to lose two keepers to the same Iberian tiger in 1980 and another keeper met his death cleaning a tiger cage in 1994 (amazing, innit?). So you're not too sad, this is a major conservation park, not just an excuse for people to cage animals up for their personal amusement... however, if I were to guess I would say those tigers in question were either extremely amused or extremely pissed off. Anyhow, this is a photo through the window of the gorilla colony enclosure. If you look carefully you can see some lovely primates in the background. If it was "Cage Wednesday" they might have appeared a bit more prominently, but they didn't really get all that close to this window when I was taking the pic. The gorillas were incredibly animated and playful. Loads of young and babies too. They seemed pretty content, even happy, but maybe that's because they haven't been talking to the tigers.

No comments: